Volume Ii Part 51 (1/2)
18.-At an early hour in the morning the emigrant s.h.i.+p Humboldt, of Hamburgh, 729 tons register, bound from Hamburgh to the Brazils, with 349 emigrants on board, ran ash.o.r.e on Winterton beach. With the a.s.sistance of tugs the vessel was got off and taken to Yarmouth Roads for repair.
The master, Henrisch Detlof Busch, had lost his bearings, and believed himself to be off the coast of France!
20.-The first Starr-Bowkett Building Society was established at Norwich, by Mr. Starr, one of the originators of the system.
-The nomination of candidates for the election in the Northern Division of the county, consequent upon the death of the Hon. Frederick Walpole, M.P., took place at Aylsham. The candidates were Lieut.-Colonel James Duff, of Westwick House, and Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, Bart., of Warlies, Waltham Abbey. The polling, which took place on the 21st, resulted as follows: Duff, 2,302; Buxton, 2,192. Colonel Duff, during the election campaign, was confined to his house by sickness.
29.-A meeting of gentlemen interested in the field sports of the county was held at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, to consider the advisability of accepting the offer made by Mr. Angerstein, namely, that he would give to the county his pack of staghounds and deer, on condition that the county subscribed a sufficient sum ”to hunt them in a proper manner.” The meeting agreed to take over the hounds if adequate funds were forthcoming.
MAY.
15.-Mdlle. Beatrice's Comedy-Drama Company commenced an engagement at Norwich Theatre. The repertory included ”The School for Scandal,” ”Mary Stuart,” ”Frou-frou,” ”Nos Intimes,” ”The Ticket-of-Leave Man,” ”John Jasper's Wife,” and ”East Lynne.”
18.-Died at his residence, Theatre Street, Norwich, in his 82nd year, Mr.
William Butcher, a well-known land surveyor and auctioneer. He was a native of Brooke, and entered the office of Mr. Robert Corby, of Kirstead, a land surveyor, who had one of the largest practices in the district, if not in the kingdom. Mr. Butcher had unusual opportunities of acquiring a practical knowledge of the business at the time when enclosures of commons in Norfolk and Suffolk were being carried out, for Mr. Corby was the surveyor employed. For nearly sixty years he carried on a most lucrative practice, which was not confined to local limits, but extended throughout the kingdom, from the remotest parts of Scotland to the Land's End. Mr. Butcher served one term as an alderman of the city, and was Sheriff of Norwich in 187071.
24.-The Queen's birthday was celebrated in Norwich by an entertainment given to the inmates of the Workhouse by the Sheriff (Mr. Stevenson). It was stated that the Easter Monday and Whit Monday holidays provided by the Bank Holidays Act had affected the public observance of the day, and Volunteer reviews, sham fights, and civic feasts were no longer held to commemorate the occasion.
27.*-”The early closing of our shops on Thursdays in the summer months seems now to be the universal custom in Norwich, with the solitary exception of the chemists and druggists.” (_See_ March 26th, 1879.)
-*”Some days since some men at work on Feltwell Fen found a quant.i.ty of Roman silver coins, many of them distinctly bearing the names of Hadrian, Antoninus, Trajan, Marcus Aurelius, Divas Antoninus, Vespasian, &c. They were contained in a vessel which was broken to pieces by the plough which turned it up.”
31.-The ceremony of laying the foundation-stone of the new building in Little Orford Street, of the Norwich Church of England Young Men's Society, was performed by the President, Mr. F. E. Watson. The building, which was designed by Mr. Edward Boardman, architect, and erected by Mr.
G. E. Hawes, was formally opened on December 6th.
JUNE.
14.-The annual show of the Norfolk Agricultural a.s.sociation opened at Swaffham. Sir William ffolkes, High Sheriff of Norfolk, presided at the luncheon.
15.-Died at his residence, South Quay, Great Yarmouth, Vice-Admiral Thomas Lewis Gooch, aged 69, youngest son of Sir Thomas Sherlock Gooch, Bart., of Benacre Hall. Born at Bramfield, he joined the Royal Naval College in 1820, and entering the Navy, obtained Lieutenant's rank in 1828. He was appointed to the command of H.M.S. Kite, went to the West Coast of Africa, and brought home the survivors of the first ill-fated Niger Expedition. In 1865 he attained the rank of retired Rear-Admiral, and became Vice-Admiral in 1871. In 1828 he married Anne, eldest daughter of General the Hon. William Gardner, Lieutenant-Governor of Malta.
18.-Father Ignatius announced that he would commence an eight days'
mission at the Monastery, Elm Hill, Norwich. Miss Ware, a lady residing at Claydon, to whom, it was stated, the property belonged, was communicated with, and she instructed her solicitors to take the necessary steps for the ejectment of Ignatius. Mr. J. Clabburn, of Norwich, as agent to the solicitors, went to the Monastery, accompanied by three process-servers, and forcibly removed Ignatius and a brother monk as they were in the act of celebrating ma.s.s. On the 20th Ignatius summoned Mr. Clabburn and his men for a.s.sault, and, after a prolonged hearing at the Police Court, the magistrates dismissed the case.
Meanwhile Ignatius held his services in the large room at the Bell Hotel, in the yard of the Rampant Horse Hotel, and at St. Andrew's Hall.
27.-Died at Ambleside, Miss Harriet Martineau, who was born in Norwich on June 13th, 1802. ”Although she was not a great she was a most industrious writer, and thoroughly in earnest in whatever she undertook.”
28.-The new organ erected at East Dereham church by Messrs. Hill and Son, of London, at a cost of between 700 and 800, was opened by Dr. E. T.
Chipp, organist of Ely Cathedral.
30.-Died at Catton House, Norwich, Mr. Robert Chamberlin, aged 74. He thrice served the office of Mayor-in 18545, 18567, and 18712, and was Sheriff in 18489. Mr. Chamberlin was a magistrate for the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk, and for the city of Norwich, and was a Deputy-Lieutenant of the first-named county.
JULY.
1.-The 3rd Norfolk Rifle Volunteers, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Duff, M.P., went into camp at Hunstanton Park, and were officially inspected on the 6th by Colonel Harenc, commanding the 31st Brigade Depot at Yarmouth.
2.-Two troops of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) marched from Norwich, _en route_ to York; the headquarters left on the 8th.